Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy Birthday

Today, Dec 29th, would have been my sister's 39th birthday had she been alive. I spent the day rushing and have had little time to reflect on her memory.
I have to say I miss her still very much and wish she was her to talk about the little things in life, like getting older. I turned 40 this last Aug. and it would be her turn next so would have liked to be able to gripe about those things we were having to suddenly deal with due to age.
Sometimes I feel so alone when I remember she is gone and there just isn't anyone who can fill that void in my heart.
Ruthie and I were complete opposites and we fought all the time but we had the same childhood and no one can ever know the joys and sorrows we shared growing up. And even with our differences as adults we had some very good times. One of my favorites was when I was pregnant with my son. I had been unable to sleep all night, was so uncomfortable, and ended up on her doorstep at 6 or 7 in the morning. She was living out in a small town in the country but I drove out to spend some time with her since was so restless. She was still in bed but got up to spend time with me. After she got coffee going she went out to feed the chickens. This is funny because we are city girls and didn't get raised taking care of farm animals. Those chickens though flocked to her and followed her around while she got the feed. Was the funniest site I have ever seen! She was completely surrounded and they trailed after her waiting for breakfast to be served.
I really like that memory.
Ruthie had a heart of gold and she loved children. I have very found memories of her with my girls sitting on her lap at the same time chatting away with them while they each played with half of her hair. She loved them dearly and never could get enough of Aunt Ruthie.
These are the things I think about on her birthdays as I pay tribute to my sister another year.

From Sorrow to Joy       
On this day six years ago
You bid this world good bye
I hit my knees and before the Lord
I took my painful cry

Before the gates of heaven above
I poured out my endless sorrow
I moaned and whined and cried about
How “I” would make it through tomorrow

But Christ came down and took my hand
And showed me my mistake
He held me close in His arms
To sooth my endless ache

He told me there was peace in Heaven
Your pain would be no more
You’d find the rest you sought at last
Like nothing you’d found before

So I dried my eyes, looked up and smiled
The end is not so bad
She’s parted from me but for awhile
There’s a reason to be glad

~Sara~
Feb. 11, 2005









To our yellow rose of Texas, you are missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment