Total Pageviews

Friday, December 24, 2010

Baa Humbug!

I am just having trouble getting into the spirit of the season. We had our Christmas party today and it turned out pretty good but it seemed like everyone just wanted to grab their gift after they ate. No one wanted to share the joy of the gift they gave. It just seems the older I get the more I find this season to be one of greed and nasty treatment of others because your in a hurry to get everything done.
I have also found by working in call center that people just plain get stupid over the holidays. I have had to deal with telling more people no they can't just get a free phone because they have had an account for a long time. Or being told every whining sob story designed to get me to give them some credit on something they did do and should be charged for. Why can't people just keep the bill paid and if they use the service then PAY for it and stop expecting others to just make it go away. It's not that I'm insensitive to people who really do have an issue and are calling in to see what they need to do so they don't get behind. It seems that most are just looking for a free ride though and those I have no pity for when they are trying to work me to get what they want.
Christmas is no longer about the family but how many presents you are going to get. It's not about finding the right gift for someone because you care and being happy that you made someones day with it. It's about making sure you don't get something that costs more than what you were given or to compete with someone else on how many gifts you gave or how much it cost. The joy and love is lost from this greedy holiday. Where are the families getting together instead of rushing off to some party somewhere? Where is the smile towards the stranger in the street or the store? Where is the understanding that everyone is finding it a tight year and instead of expecting the expensive gifts being happy with something less expensive or homemade?
One of the girls at work was upset because her brother bought everyone in the family something from online when they all agreed to make things this year. She had worked and worked on scarves for her family and thought of other simple gifts to give but were all carefully chosen and from her heart. She was in tears because he was going to be giving better gifts. I think hers is the better gifts because of the love and time she put into them. I may becoming a cynic but I just am left empty on Christmas anymore and can't wait till it's over. Every time I try to get excited something seems to knock the wind out of my sails. I know I've gone on and on and I really don't want to do without Christmas but rather wish it could be the way it was meant to be, a holiday to remember Christ's birth and the hope of mankind for salvation.
Remember to smile at people and wish them blessings and a joyful holiday.
~Merry Christmas~

No comments:

Post a Comment